Thursday, May 19, 2005

You know it to be true

Yesterday was the Boy's Tae Kwan Do lesson. Did I even come close to spelling that right? Anyway, the Ex--being Martial Arts Man--comes and picks up the Boy and takes him to these lessons. The Ex usually arrives as I'm prying the Boy away from some project or other and coaxing him into his uniform. Yesterday, I somehow convinced him to start getting ready a bit early so that he'd actually be dressed when his father arrived, instead of hopping around in his underwear like usual.

The front door was open and I was getting the Boy dressed in the living room so that I could see through the storm door. "Come on, bud," I said, "let's finish getting you ready before Papa gets here."

"Papa IS here!" the Boy blurted out. "He is?" I asked, craning my neck to look through the door to the driveway. "Did you hear his car?"

The Boy looked up at me from under his eyebrows. "No," he said, seriously, "I felt a disturbance in the Force."