Monday, May 29, 2006

Live the Myth!

You might notice that I have a festive new Summer Motto going on here.

The kids and I went to the pool today with S and her kids. S used to be one of my neighbors at the old house, and now we're neighbors in the new neighborhood, too. Our kids have pretty much grown up together. I love S.

The olders were swimming around in the big pool while S and I watched the youngers splashing in the kiddie pool. S's oldest is a year older than the Boy, and absolutely gorgeous. I mean, this girl is lovely, smart, and can kick butt to boot. As she stretched out on her towel to dry off, I shook my head. "So," I asked S, "Is her father starting his heart condition yet? The one he's going to have in about 6 years?" I tease her husband a lot about his three daughters and how he'd better start his gun collection now. The girls are all stunning and ... independent. The poor man.

She laughed. "No," she said, "I think he's in denial. He's just pretending that it's never going to happen. I just tell him, enjoy it while you can, honey. Live the myth!"

We both looked at each other and started laughing at the same time. "That's got to be one of the most brilliant things you've ever come up with," I said. "It should be our new motto," S agreed.
"This summer, we will Live the Myth!"

The youngers in the baby pool started screaming at each other over one of their pool toys. S and I leaned back in our deck chairs. "Live the myth, baby," she murmured. "P! GIVE IT BACK TO YOUR SISTER!!!!"

God, I love that woman.